By Laura Topham

Last updated at 12:47 AM on 29th August 2009

Miracle mother: Karina with her 5ft 9in husband Paul and their daughter Freya who she risked her life to have

Miracle mother: Karina with her 5ft 9in husband Paul and their daughter Freya who she risked her life to have

Karina White is often stopped by strangers as she pushes her daughter's pram through the streets near her home.

Given that she can barely peer over the top, passers-by are usually concerned that a baby has been left in the care of a young child.

It's only on closer inspection that they realise Karina is actually a mature woman. She just happens never to have grown taller than an average six-year-old.

Karina is 3ft 9in and one of the smallest women in Britain ever to have given birth.

More than that, the 33-year-old risked her life to become a mother, having defied doctors who warned her pregnancy could kill her.

They simply did not believe there was enough space within her tiny body to carry a baby virtually to term.

But she was determined to become the first woman with her condition to successfully give birth.

Today, she and her husband Paul could not be happier, and they pay little heed to the astonished looks she attracts as she wheels their daughter around their home town of Bolton in Lancashire.

'Of course, people stare at me and Freya,' says Karina, whose limbs and body are in perfect proportion - giving her a doll-like appearance.

'But I don't care, they can look as much as they like - I want to show my gorgeous daughter off to the world.

'Children often shout "look at that little mummy" and people are always asking how old my little sister is, by which they mean Freya.

'Sometimes people approach, worried that I'm too young to be looking after a baby, then get embarrassed when they see my face up close and realise their mistake.

'I'm not embarrassed at all, though. I'm just incredibly happy to have Freya and that she is healthy. My size doesn't matter to me and it doesn't matter to Freya.'

Eye to eye with her baby: Most prams were too high for Karina - this one came from Germany

Eye to eye with her baby: Most prams were too high for Karina - this one came from Germany

Indeed, it is because of Karina's full and active life that she and Paul - who is 5ft 9in - are astonishingly unconcerned by the likelihood that Freya has inherited Karina's rare condition, Spondyloepiphyseal Dysplasia Congenita.

Yet at one year old, Freya is only just reaching the size of an average newborn. 

'We always knew it was a possibility, but we don't care at all, and I hope Freya doesn't in the future - Paul and I think Freya is absolutely perfect,' says Karina.

'Everyone's different and I don't see being short as a disability. Although I was bullied at school, I've always enjoyed my life, held down a job and had no reason to complain.'

Karina's parents, who don't have the growth condition, found out Karina was affected when she was three years old.

Her mother had noticed the slow growth and curved spine by the time Karina reached six months, but it took two-and-a-half years for her worried parents to find a doctor who would investigate - then tests revealed the genetic glitch that prevents proper bone growth.

Although Karina was in and out of hospital during childhood - for operations on her hips and cleft palate, as well as frequent monitoring and measuring - she was able to live a full life with her normal-sized brother and sister, attending mainstream schools then finding work as a seamstress and a shop assistant.

But doctors told Karina's parents that she would never be able to have children because they were convinced pregnancy would kill her, and when Karina was approaching her teenage years they broke that news to her.

'I was 12 when I heard how dangerous having children would be for me and that it was highly unlikely I'd ever be able to bear a baby,' she recalls. 'At that point, I didn't mind too much as I was only a child myself and couldn't contemplate having my own family.

Baby on board: Karina was often mistaken for a pregnant child when she was carrying Freya

Baby on board: Karina was often mistaken for a pregnant child when she was carrying Freya

'I didn't think I'd ever find a husband anyway - I was only used to sniggering and name-calling from boys. After school, I went on a couple of dates, but I felt very self-conscious and it didn't work out.'

But then, at a Christmas party in 1995, friends introduced Karina to Paul, who works for an electronics company, and everything changed.

'We connected instantly and spent the whole evening chatting. I knew I'd finally met someone I could trust and we started dating. He is three feet taller than me, so people stared even more when we were together. But he didn't mind, so I didn't either.'

Paul proposed on Karina's 21st birthday two years later and they began discussing starting a family.

'Until I met Paul, I'd always just accepted that I couldn't have children. But once I met him I started thinking how wonderful it would be to have a family.

'I knew Paul was really keen, so I had to explain it was probably impossible for me. He said he loved me and wanted to be with me whether or not we were able to have a baby.'

Refusing to give up hope, Karina went to her doctor to discuss the possibility. She discovered that medical advances meant tests could now determine how her body would cope with pregnancy.

For three months, she underwent a series of assessments, such as lung tests, to see how much extra strain they could handle, and scans to see how much room there was in her body for a baby to grow.

Doctors feared that Karina's size meant her back wouldn't be able to cope with the weight of a bump, and recommended adoption instead.

But then, three months later, test results showed Karina could attempt pregnancy under close observation, although there were still risks and carrying the baby to full-term would not be possible.

There was also a 50 per cent chance the baby would inherit her condition, which raised ethical questions.

'We were elated. We didn't focus on the risks - only on the fact that doctors had said pregnancy was possible,' says Karina.

'Doctors said there was no way of knowing whether the baby would have my condition or not. Paul and I discussed the possibility and although it had been hard for me as a child to be so small, it would be much easier for our baby growing up because she would have someone her own size around - me.

'People also told us that schools are more tolerant nowadays and there is less name-calling. Ultimately, I am a really happy person and we knew our child would have a happy life, too.'

The couple waited until they were married before trying to conceive. They wed in June 2005, with Karina wearing a specially-made gown and a pair of size 13 children's shoes studded with crystals.

Then, in summer 2007, they began trying for a baby - and she became pregnant within months.

'When the test came back positive we were absolutely thrilled. Suddenly we were on the way to what we both wanted so badly,' says Karina. 

Happy family: Paul and Karina have no regrets about having Freya who has inherited her mother's growth problem

Happy family: Paul and Karina have no regrets about having Freya who has inherited her mother's growth problem

'I was obviously worried because nobody could predict what would happen - no woman with my condition has ever tried to have a baby before - but I passed all the checks, so I put my faith in the doctors.

'My parents were really anxious because they had been told pregnancy would kill me. I explained that modern medical care was much better and that I'd had a battery of tests, which convinced them to support me.

'Paul was very calm and said we would deal with each day as it came. I actually felt quite safe, as I would be closely monitored with fortnightly hospital appointments and frequent scans.

'The first scan was at just eight weeks and even then there was life showing - a little peanut-shaped mass. It took my breath away.'

At first, the pregnancy went much easier than she had feared - the hormones actually lessened her lifelong arthritis pains.

But the bump was much more visible because of Karina's height - and by 20 weeks it was already almost as big as her.

As she continued to expand, Karina found herself increasingly becoming the focus of unwanted attention.

'People would literally stop and stare when they saw me, because it looked so strange. Some mistook me for a pregnant child. I am used to people gawping at me, but it did get too much at times.

'I wanted people to ask me so I could explain, because I have nothing to be ashamed of. Sometimes they'd come up to me, realise I'm an adult, then get even more confused.'

Karina focused on preparing for the baby's arrival. 'Finding maternity clothes was a nightmare - I made most of them by buying size 14 dresses and shortening them,' she says.

'We needed a specially adapted nursery where I could reach everything, so we arranged a changing mat on the floor instead of a table and bought a Moses basket low enough to allow me to get a baby in and out of it.

'None of the small prams we found had a low enough carriage, so we imported a special one from Germany - the only one I could see over the top of.'

From the later scans, it became clear that the baby was smaller than normal and would probably have the same condition as Karina - although blood tests after birth would be the only way of knowing for certain.

Devoted: Karina has overcome bullies who mocked her size and will help her daughter if she suffers the same

Devoted: Karina has overcome bullies who mocked her size and will help her daughter if she suffers the same

Yet even with an abnormally light baby, carrying around a bump so proportionally huge was exhausting for Karina.

'I barely slept at all for the last six weeks. My bump was so heavy that Paul had to help me in and out of bed and even turn me over. I couldn't dress myself, as I couldn't reach over my bump and I struggled to walk.

'The weight was just too much for my back and ankles.'

At 31 weeks, doctors decided to admit Karina to hospital because they knew a premature birth was imminent.

At 33 weeks, on August 17 last year, her waters broke as the baby had become too large for her body to cope with.

Because Karina's pelvis is too small for her to give birth naturally, Freya was delivered by an emergency Caesarean.

'I was scared by the C-section because nobody knew how it would affect me. The doctors must have been nervous too because they were in unknown territory and operating on a miniature scale.'

Thankfully the Caesarean went well and Freya was born, seven weeks premature and weighing just 3lb 8oz.

She was rushed to an incubator, however, as she had breathing problems and a cleft palate.

'She was absolutely tiny when she was born - but so beautiful,' says Karina quietly. 'We couldn't hold her for a few weeks, which was upsetting, but Paul and I stayed by her side. My parents were elated - and incredibly relieved that I was all right.

'Freya needed medical care, even when she finally came home in November, but she is getting stronger all the time. She will have her cleft palate repaired when she is 18 months old and able to cope with the operation.'

Blood tests are expected to show Freya has the same condition as her mother, though doctors say she could grow taller than Karina.

Paul had already adapted their home for Karina by lowering the bathroom and kitchen fittings, and setting up remote controls for the lights. He has now begun further adjustments for Freya.

'Paul has made a low wardrobe that she'll be able to reach and we are trying to work out what to do about the bath - he lifts me in and out of it, but obviously a girl won't want her father doing that.

'Freya is getting heavier now - 12lb 8oz - so I soon won't be able to lift her myself, but we will work around that.

'She is easier for me to cope with than an average-sized baby would have been. It is obvious from her size that she will be small like me - but it won't be a problem for her.

'People might stare at us and think we look strange, but I know I can make her happy.'

With such extraordinary courage, it's hard not to feel this remarkable woman will be as good as her word.

Here's what readers have had to say so far. Why not add your thoughts below, or debate this issue live on our message boards.

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

Karina White risked her life to have a baby against medical advice. If she had died the baby would have either died too or been motherless. Why don't people think about what is best for the child before they breed?

people like this never cease to amaze me - why would you have a baby if there is a VERY strong change a genetic defect will be passed on...

happy and loving parents or not, this poor little girl is going to be teased and bullied throughout her life, and her mother with first hand experience should have been more sympathetic before deciding to concieve.

Another case of "I want" without any due consideration for the child.

Karina is a brave and strong person, how admirable that shes done so much in her life even as a little person. Paul is one great catch! I love stories of men who are so supportive. Freya will do fine with parents like these.The hospital and doctors are to be admired for helping this story have a happy ending.

Glad you did not listen to doctors.

I was huge when i was pregant,as i am only 4ft 11inch.

oh , how you lift my spirits, how amazing are you all, you cannot imagine how inspiring you are,
so very well done, wish you all the best in the future

Fantastic! A truly inspiring story of determination and courage, well done!

For all the nay-sayers who are bound to jump out and criticise this story: don't!! Women are born with an inbred sense of mothering - it's a deep seated instinct and this is normal and beautiful: women should never be criticised for wanting children and for pursuing the dream regardless of their age or physical condition

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.